Monday, December 1, 2008

Chalet High Management and Alexander Properties of Basye, Virginia

This tale of woe is about our interaction with Alexander Properties of Basye, Virginia.

On September 20, 2008 my wife and I were treated to a time-share presentation in Basye, Virginia. We purchased a unit because it sounded like a great deal. The deal which was pitched to us was: 1) if we purchased immediately, we get 12 bonus weeks annually with Interval International (II), 2) if we purchase a unit we can use it as a rental (as in - actually receiving rent) instead of as a time-share trade with II, 3) we can use the bonus weeks to go anywhere and anytime we want, 4) there were other points beyond #3 but the combination of those three was the real draw.

When I got home and read every sentence of the contract we signed I noticed a few departures from the sales pitch. Such as:



Some members may be restricted from utilizing the getaway program into resorts located within the same geographical area as the home resort.

Holiday weeks and other highly demanded weeks are generally not available under
this program.

So much for anywhere and anytime. My wife is a school teacher; we can only vacation during high demand and holiday weeks. We canceled the contract per the instructions in the contract. The cancellation notice was received by Jay Fulk on September 26, 2008. Again this was within the time period (7 days) stated by the contract. Since we had made the purchase with a credit card we expected to see the credit appear somewhere near the 45 days after the 26th (also part of the contract).

As you may have guessed, the credit did not appear.

I found the telephone number for Alexander Properties, Inc. (API) on the internet. API is the "party of the second part" listed on the purchase agreement. That telephone number is also the number for Chalet High Management, Inc., which is how they answer the phone.

I initially called API the week before Thanksgiving. I explained the situation (missing refund) and was told by Gina the she would tell the person who deals with that and that someone would call me back. When I called back after no one called me, Gina told me that she put my folder on the manager's desk.

When I called back again after no one called me, I was told the person who deals with that was on a conference call to the bank.

When I called back the next day, I was told the person who deals with that was out of the office in a meeting.

When I called back later that day, I was told the person who deals with that was gone for the Holiday.

After this last call I was told that the "person who deals with that" is Jay Fulk, General Manager.
(side note: Just for fun, look up "Jay Fulk Basye" on the internet.

I called the week after Thanksgiving… and called and called and called. Each time he was either "out on the property", "on a conference call", or "gone for the day".

On December 3, I had to be home for an appliance repairman visit so I took the opportunity to call when I normally did not call - 10:00ish AM. Mr. Fulk was on a conference call with the bank but I was promised that Mr. Fulk would call me back at 11:30. At 11:45, when I called back,I was told he was out on the property. (snide note: With the bankers???)

Finally, later that day, Mr. Fulk returned my call… an hour after he promised to call me back. He assured me that I would get my refund (Side note… I forgot to ask him "when"… my fault.) but he would need his assistant Gina to get my folder. I told him it was on his desk (read back a few lines) but he told me that there was too much stuff on his desk for him to find it. At a point when you recognize that you are being stonewalled by someone who has lied to you in the past, you get to make a decision. I politely said "thank you" and
1) hung up the telephone,
2) mailed my grievance letter to Visa, and
3) sent my grievance letter to the Attorney General's Office of Virginia

As of today (12/04/08), I have not heard back from Mr. Fulk nor any of his staff.

My next steps…
1) create a Blog so that the whole world may be warned,
2) notify the Chamber of Commerce of Basye, Virginia,
3) notify the Better Business Bureau covering the Basye, Virginia area,
4) notify the Better Business Bureau of Virginia,
5) notify Interval International of API's misrepresentation,
6) notify RCI (still a Chalet High affiliate) of API's misrepresentation, and finally
7) notify the US Treasury since obviously (in my opinion) API is broke since they spend so much time on conference calls to banks and still cannot cover my refund and therefore needs an infusion of money just like the banking industry and the U.S. auto industry.

If you actually get to read this on the internet, that means that #1 of "next steps" has been completed.
You have been warned.
Oh, and then there's this: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g57489-i10028-k383581-Rate_Chalet_high_Basye_Va-Basye_Virginia.html



On an even more side note…
We were promised several things just for showing up for the "tour".
1) 3-day, 2-night stay in… well, many places
2) free flights to anywhere in the "Continental US".
3) $100 for gas.

Both the free motel stay and free flights cost us a confirmation fee. I sent in the fees (money order) and received confirmation of that. Two weeks ago (today is 12/04/08), I sent in a note to Gas Up America asking about my initial request for $100 worth of coupons for gasoline. They have not responded to either my first or my second note. Therefore, one may conclude that the "$100 for gas" that they promise you is bogus. I'll keep you posted on the Gas Up America issue.


- - - - - -
December 8, 2008...
Noon. Still no credit from Alexander Properties and still no word from Gas Up America.
My 1:00 call - Mr. Fulk just gone to lunch.
My 3:30 call - Mr. Fulk had already left for the day.
- - - - - - - -
December 9, 2008...
My 10:30 call - I spoke with someone who said that Mr. Fulk will call me back at 1:00.
It's 2:30, Mr. Fulk has not called me.
My 3:30 call - Mr. Fulk is in a meeting. I was told that he called and left a message on my machine. He did not call the number I left. He had called my home phone and left a message. His message was that they had found my folder and that I would be receiving a refund.
- - - - - - - -
December 10, 2008...
My 10:15 call - Mr. Fulk was already on a lengthy telephone conversation. I did not get to speak to him.
My 4:40 call - Mr. Fulk had gone for the day.
No refund yet.
- - - - - - - - - -
December 11, 2008
My 11:00 call - Mr. Fulk finally took my call. He said that they batch all their refunds together and issue them in at one time. That is scheduled for Monday.
When I asked him about Gas Up America, I was told that that is a marketing department issue and that he would have them call me today.
By Noon, Marketing had called and left a message. I returned the call. Heather is going to contact Gas Up America and e-mail me their response.
- - - - - - - - - - -
December 16, 2008
It's Tuesday, the day after Mr Fulk said they would process the refund. As of 6:30 AM, we have still not received our refund. The refund is now 36 days past-due. I wonder how long this is going to drag on.
I have not heard from Marketing about the Gas Up America issue either.

It's 1:30. I've called Mr. Fulk twice in the past 45 minutes and was told each time that he should be back within the next half hour.
Marketing is not answering their phone.
It's 2:30 and he's not there *again*.
- - - - - - - - - - -
December 18, 2008
As of 11:30 AM the refund has not been credited.
I called a couple times this morning but Mr. Fulk was already on the phone. In that 2 1/2 hour window when I was home this morning, he did not return my call.
- - - - - - - - - - -
December 23, 2008
As of 10:00 AM the refund has not been credited. This is more than a week past the day Jay Fulk said they would process the refund.
I just received paperwork from the Virgina Office of Consumer Affairs via the Attorney General's office. It looks like I get to let one more agency know about this.
- - - - - - - - - - -
January 3, 2009
The refund has not been credited.

- - - - - - - - - - -
January 10, 2009
We received a letter from Visa today. It says the dispute has been resolved and that my account has been credited.

I still have not heard from Marketing about the Gas Up America issue.

- - - - - - - - - - -
January 22, 2009
I still have not heard from Marketing about the Gas Up America issue. No one even answers the phone when I call.

- - - - - - - - - - -
January 30, 2009
I still have not heard from Marketing about the Gas Up America issue. I called and discovered that the 800 number no longer works. I called the "local" number and got someone. I asked to have Heather - my initial contact - call me back. She did not.

- - - - - - - - - - -
March 4, 2009
After calling the marketing department several times and not getting a call back, I left a message saying that since Gas Up America was not going to send me my coupons, I expect the marketing department to send me the $100 they promised. I got a call back saying they would send a check. I'll update this post when I actually receive that check.

- - - - - - - - - - -
March 7, 2009
The check has been received. As long as it does not bounce, that puts an end to this ordeal.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Counter as of 4:45 PM 12/16/2008


35 comments:

another Rick said...

You have been scammed by some of the best. We bought a yet to be built unit in 2003, it was going to be built next year, absolutely. It is now 2009 and it is not yet built. I went to a very 'important' meeting today in Bayse about the future of chalet high. I was a sales pitch. There were 3 ways out they said and all three cost money, including the biggest push which was to but into a points system called something like 'Indefinite Vacations' or something like that. I told them, "I know I got taken, I just want out." Well, for the small fee of ME PAYING THEM another $1,300, they would forget all about me. The threat was a take over and possible assessments being levied against the owner's association. Caveat Emptor. If you see this blog, do not deal with these guys.

Karen said...

We also purchased a unit in July of 2004, it has not been built either. Our agreement stated that said residence would be completed no later than two years from the date of this agreement. We have paid maintenance fees on this unit since we purchased it. I have also tried to contact Mr. Fulk. He has either been on another call or out of the office. They gladly take my phone number and will have him return my call. Of course I have not heard from him. I am at a loss at this point.

Anonymous said...

"another RIck", I was recently contacted about the "important meeting about the future", and figured it was a new and improved sales pitch. If you would, could you please list the options that you were presented? I want out too, and don't really want to drive to Basye to get frustrated and pitched. Thanks in advance,
Chris

Working Stiff said...

The important meeting is a sales pitch for “Infinite Escape”. http://infiniteescape.com or http://myinfiniteescape.com/.

The set up is Resort Consulting Group (RCG) http://www.resortconsultinggroup.net/ is there to save Chalet/Creekside (CC) from going under. They list the common problems with CC not refurbishing the units, not building the units I think they said the last unit built was 31 or something in that area, and somebody recently purchased time in unit 50, the place isn’t clean and has low ratings according to RCG.

The presentation shows the industry average of maintenance fees at $700-800 CC is /$65+. They have recommended raising the fee gradually but the HOA raised the fee through and additional assessment of $110 this year and it will be increasing as time goes by until the fee hits the $700 neighborhood.

RCG believes CC can be saved but they only have 12-18 months to for the turn around. Now you can take the risk of CC going belly up or you can sell your timeshare but get pennies on the dollar (they show screen shots of ebay of bids of $1-149 for creekside) or a investor, I believe the name is James Mason with many years of experience in the timeshare industry is willing to do an “equity trade” with you if you sign up with his infinite escape plan. They don’t say how much he is giving in trade, I guess it’s a take it or leave it deal.

They did not mention the walk out deal for $1,300 that another Rick mentioned but they did stress if you don't pay your fees they can take you to court to collect.

For $8,999 individual or $9,999 family less some trade in value for your deeded equity in CC you can use their timeshares. They were showing some places in Fl and some islands for $399/week.

For fun you can also hit the Shenandoah Circuit Court for a listing of all cases and status against Chalet High, Creekside and Alexander Properties.
http://wasdmz2.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/circuit.html

songbird said...

Boy I am glad I found this blog. Just got my letter from Resort Consulting Group today--Now I know what the meeting is about! We want out too! Fees went up to $550 this year. Thanks for the blog.

Death2AlexanderPropertiesandRCG said...

I also bought a unit that was never built. They sold my account receivable to a company in the southwest US. I contacted the Consumer Protection office in Richmond and they said they had no complaints on record as of a few years ago. I received my RCG letter today. I guess it would be a waste of gas to even go there. The management onsite said I have to continue to pay or they will ruin my credit. I hope the place rots into the ground.

Death2AlexanderPropertiesandRCG said...

It looks like "Infinite Escape" is an online travel service. After you join, you get to download software which allows you to become your own travel agent. This is not new or novel. It lists the business location as Harrisonburg,VA. when you check their Contact info on their website. I am shocked. (Closer to the banks than Basye by a couple of miles! He! He!) I wish not to be swindled twice. I hope their new venture is much more successful than their last. Guilt by association works for me. Potential buyers you have been Warned!

Rich said...

For those of you that have purchased units that have not been built by the agreed upon time frame and want out, I recommend gathering your paperwork and talking to a lawyer about breech of contract. Sure you will spend a couple hundred dollars, (heck I bet they'd even talk to you for an hour free) but at least you may be able to cut your losses or even get some money back. Or I guess you could sell your timeshare but I don’t know what is involved in that. Or you could stick around and see what happens.

The problem that I see with Infinite Escape is they have no track record. I can find no reviews, comments, advertising (beyond their site) or history of any kind about them. Why would you give somebody you don’t know thousands of dollars for a promise? Think about it, how would you get your money back if they go belly up the day after you give them a check?

Just for giggles I did a whois search on infiniteescape.com and RCG.net today 4/9/2009. Now supposedly RCG has no connection with infinite escape except through licensing. But look at who registered both sites and pay close attention to the registration dates.

Registrant:
IMS inc. c/o Free Private Reg
P.O. Box 81024
Burnaby, BC V5H 4K2
CA

Domain name: INFINITEESCAPE.COM


Administrative Contact:
Mason, James
P.O. Box 81024
Burnaby, BC V5H 4K2
CA
852-3594-1708
Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, Domain
Suite 210 - 3602 Gilmore Way
Burnaby, BC V5G 4W9
CA
(604) 434-4307 Fax: (604) 608-6832



Registrar of Record: In2net Network Inc.
Record last updated on 07-May-2008.
Record expires on 07-May-2009.
Record created on 07-May-2008.

Domain servers in listed order:
dns4.doteasy.com 65.61.199.12
dns3.doteasy.com 65.61.198.12


Registrant:
James Mason
102 S. Main St.
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
US

Domain name: RESORTCONSULTINGGROUP.NET


Administrative Contact:
Mason, James
102 S. Main St.
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
US
540-564-0295 Fax: 540-564-0495

Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, Domain
Suite 210 - 3602 Gilmore Way
Burnaby, BC V5G 4W9
CA
(604) 434-4307 Fax: (604) 608-6832



Registrar of Record: In2net Network Inc.
Record last updated on 29-Jan-2009.
Record expires on 29-Jan-2010.
Record created on 29-Jan-2009.

Domain servers in listed order:
dns8.doteasy.com 65.61.199.14
dns7.doteasy.com 65.61.198.14

Again?Really? said...

My wife and myself attended the so-called very important “RCG” meeting on 4/17/2009. To be honest it was everything we thought it would be something of another “pitch” but for as long as we have had our timeshare about 13 years now “ if you ask me 7 years to long” even though I didn’t like what they had to say they did offer a way out of this trap I was stuck to and about to become worse since the maintenance fees have now gone to $550.00 with no end in sight. Even though we did have to pay to get out of it, it was still worth it to us because we have tried to sell our timeshare, rent it, even give it away at one point and nothing could be done with it. So we came to the conclusion it is just better to cut our loses and just run as fast as we can rather than pay for a dump and not even use it. Good luck to everyone on whatever you do with that place.

Doug said...

To Again?Really?

How much did you pay? was it the $1300 mentioned above?

Is the deed actually transferred to them, or do they merely promise to market it?

Rick said...

I've heard via e-mail from others who are in the same situation as those commenting above. I am confused over how they can charge you maintenance fees for property that is non-existent. At best, how do they appraise an equitable percentage (figuring that maintenance costs cover more than just your owned unit) based on 1/52 of a plot of land?

BOSS said...

What would be the chances of winning against the whole conglomerate of corporations with an interest in Chalet High? There seem to be enough of us to at least consider the options. Thank God for the internet and the information that can be gleaned about the situation. Check out www.tug2.net.
There is a blog about the Resort Consulting Group. Boss.

Unknown said...

I am glad too that I found this blog. I just received my letter and I called to get more information. All they wanted was an appointment for me to come and listen to the spill. I ask for more information and got the run around. Sounded very fishy to me.

Wildfire

Unknown said...

We were suckered into the non-existent timeshare back in 2002 and have been paying maintenance ever since. We had our teleconfenence and they used their scare and threaten tactics on us also. So what does happen if we just stop paying the maintenance fees? Let me know if anyone starts a class action suit. We want in.

gearhounds said...

We were scammed in 2006 with promise of a new unit in 2 years.
No new units were built of course. They promise to refund $8000. We have a contract saying they would pay in full by Nov 2009. We have received $500 with promise of the rest but have not received it. About to contact a lawyer, so tired of the BS! -Signed Sucker

gearhounds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Since there are so many of us owners who are not happy with the companies (Chalet High Management and Chad Marketing, Inc.) would it be possible to pool our resources and sue these companies for a decent way out of our timeshares? If anyone knows of a reputable law firm that does this kind of thing, please let me know at amylcrookes@gmail.com.

Wanda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wanda said...

Hi, Amy. I'm in on the litigation idea.

Agape,
Wanda

Unknown said...

We were also scammed! As someone else said...we just wanted out and saw no other way! The place was definitely NOT worth the fees that were increasing every year! We are still a little bitter but we had a great unit for the first 10 years...then the last 5 years were a nightmare! And as others have said...phone numbers given no longer work, mail is returned from the addresses that were given...how to get out of the Infinite Escape garbage!!! Finally got a response today. I told the guy that payments WOULD NOT be made and I have docmentation of all of my efforts!!! A shame...just a darn shame! No morals or values attached to any of these companies! Very hard lesson learned...

Terrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terrie said...

We purchased 2 timeshares for cash from these people in 2002. Neither have ever been built. I could detail a bunch of stuff we have done to try to rectify the situation, but the point is still the same. We were scammed. It appears to be a timeshare Ponsi scheme.

tom haney said...

Each year has gotten worse for us with Basye. Ther maintanence fees have risen from $125 to $750. Now they claim THEY WERE RIPPED OFF BY THE COMPANY DOING THEIR MAINTAINANCE AND THEY NEED $1700 FROM EACH MEMBER! If I DO NOT PAY THEY WILL continue to charge interest and then turn me over to a collection agency. I feel this is a scam and I would be willing to join others in litigation against this company.

Amy said...

Okay, I have seen three of us who mentioned a class action suit. I don't live in Virginia, and I expect that one would need a Virginia law firm to work on this. Does anyone have any ideas about finding a REPUTABLE law firm to handle this?
August 7, 2014.
Amy Crookes

LisaKelly said...

My husband & I have also been scammed & we would like to join in the fight to help get out of the deed with Chalet High! Please contact me!!!

LisaKelly said...

I too am interested in legal action against CHALET HIGH. sheltonwritesforchrist@hotmail.com

S said...

Have any of you pursued a lawsuit against Chalet High? If so, please email me at snorthcott5@gmail.com

Bill said...

I am so surprised to see this blog isn't filled with complaints and owners chomping at the bits to take these crooks to court. I'm curious just how many owners went ahead and paid the incredulous $1700 special assessment? I'd also be interested to know just how many owners have been fighting payment of the assessment? Has anyone had their credit destroyed for failure to pay this assessment? Do any owners feel the assessment is justified and that we should pay it? I'd be interested to hear from other owners about this situation ASAP. I'm trying to get a feel where other owners are before I make any decision about where to go with this. It seems like a lawsuit is in order but it similarly seems as though owner complacency will make that endeavor difficult and costly. There have only been a dozen or so people complain on this blog - perhaps there is another location that I've missed where owners are actually coming together and planning on doing something about what Chalet High is currently doing to owners. If so, please guide me in the correct direction.
Thanks,
Bill

Unknown said...

Hi, Bill and Happy New Year. I have considered trying to negotiate with them concerning the assessment which I have not paid. They tried to wreck my credit but I have so much good credit it did not hurt me. I still have over 800 credit score. It would be something I would be in favor of if we could do a suit. Let's see how many agree.

Thomas Dorsi said...

Just curious if anyone has filed a suit? My wife and I attempted many times to get them to take our deed back.. I got sick and couldn't afford the maintenance fees after they kept increasing them... they have now sent me to a collection agency who wants me to pay 4 grand to re deed the property back...

Thomas Dorsi said...

Just curious if anyone has filed a suit? My wife and I attempted many times to get them to take our deed back.. I got sick and couldn't afford the maintenance fees after they kept increasing them... they have now sent me to a collection agency who wants me to pay 4 grand to re deed the property back...

Lynne said...

We are also in this mess. We quit paying our maintenance fees when they rose out of control and now have bad credit with interest rising every year. Is anyone filing a lawsuit? We live in Maryland and will join in.

Unknown said...

Here we are again, Around the end of the year I begin to think about what to do. Now, I am still interested in filing suit because I think there may be enough of us that a lawyer may want to work with us. What if we all started calling them to bombard them with our demands. In actuality the board of directors is a group of owners and may be more in tune to our dilema. I live in DC.

Lynne said...

I found a Virginia law 8VAC48-45-250H that covers our problem, but I can't find what happens when delinquent. Also, in 2012 Chalet High filed for bankruptcy. If they do that can we get out? We have to have a 2/3 owners vote to file a lawsuit I think. Hopefully, someone can look into this. I'm just a delinquent owner, who
now has bad credit. Need help.

Lynne said...

We are in the same situation. We would join a lawsuit. We live in Maryland.